26 January 2013

Jeongeup - Day 1

There are so many places here that I haven't seen yet. I realize that that's true for every other country as well, but Korea I call my home now. I feel like I should make time and travel around more. I told Sumin about it and we talked about how great it would be to leave Seoul and the greater metropolitan area at least once a month. We ended up making it a resolution for this year.

After Cebu last December, which was kind of a flamboyant trip, we decided to start off easy and make it out to a smaller city down south. Jeongeup is situated in the south-west of Jeollabuk-do, a two-hour train ride from Seoul. With a population of about 125.000 souls it's almost half the size of Bonn. It's not really famous for anything, I think, but it's a cozy little town far away from Seoul.

We met at Yongsan Station, a place where I haven't been for ages. It's those moments after bording the train and stowing our bags in the compartments above. We take our seats, relax and watch the station slowly move away. Or is it us who's moving? We're leaving everything behind and look forward to a wonderful trip. Most of the ride we're talking, reading, and planning our stay.

After a little over two hours we arrive at Jeongup Station. Everything seemed a little colder than Seoul, not only the temperature. It was a dusky evening hour and we still had to find our way to the Sangchambong Folk Village. It's a little property some twenty kilometers off the grid. We were headed to a place and time when Korea was called Chosun. The fifteenth century. 

No comments:

Post a Comment